Connect with us

New Bride’s Honeymoon Ruined After She Stung By World’s Most Venomous Fish

Living

New Bride’s Honeymoon Ruined After She Stung By World’s Most Venomous Fish

“I honestly have never had that much pain in my life.”

A bride had to spend the rest of her honeymoon chilling on the poolside while trying to hold in the pain with prescribed morphine after she was stung by the world’s most venomous fish. But the UK couple could also be considered lucky after surviving an attack many died from.

Amy Thomson’s foot swelled twice the size with unspoken pain after the 27-year-old stepped on a stonefish on the shore of Mauritius.

bride survived stonefish venom Mauritius 1
Amy Thomson

It was supposed to be a getaway honeymoon for Amy and her new husband, Callum Thomson, 37, as they relaxed on the beach of the quiet island near the Indian Ocean. After a snorkeling session, she decided to take a dip in the ocean since the weather was scorching. Amy had almost worn her shoes, but in the end didn’t.

She recalled her trip, “Through our holiday rep, we picked a speedboat trip where they take you to all the differing snorkel stops.”

bride survived stonefish venom Mauritius 2
Amy Thomson

“We were towards the end of it, and there was a BBQ on the beach. We were all on the beach, and I was between courses and I was quite hot, so I wanted to go in for a swim,” she continued speaking to SWNS.

She was going to wear it, but a man who helped organized the trip told her, “No, no, no, you don’t need those here.” So she took them off without any footwear. And it didn’t take long for her to accidentally trigger a stonefish, the world’s most venomous species that’s become the cause of many deaths around the Indo-Pacific region within just an hour after being stung.

bride survived stonefish venom Mauritius 3
Amy Thomson

The Australian Geographic described that because it’s so “diabolically” venomous, people are “always recommended” to wear “sturdy shoes and if they’re stung to immediately seek medical advice.” These fishes camouflage as rocks underwater, making it hard to differentiate and avoid them.

bride survived stonefish venom Mauritius 9
Australian Geographic

Amy recalled, “I came straight back to the shore … that is when I honestly have never had that much pain in my life. I looked at my foot, and it had already doubled in size. It was all swollen. I looked underneath my foot, and it had gone all blue and white.”

It took the couple around an hour to reach back to the shore and another 45 minutes before she could meet a healthcare professional. She was immediately treated.

bride survived stonefish venom Mauritius 5 scaled
Amy Thomson

“They blue-lighted me over an hour away from the hospital, and the pain lasted until eventually I was put on a drip and given morphine. I stayed over in the hospital that night where I received anti-venom for the sting.”

bride survived stonefish venom Mauritius 8 scaled
Amy Thomson

“I had fluids, morphine, and later that night, I had an incision down my foot where they squeezed the venom out.”

They stayed until the end of their honeymoon, unfortunately, next to the pool because Amy was bandaged and was in pain. And even at home, she’s still suffering from the sting, “On the flight home, my foot blew up like a balloon, and I am still suffering now.”

bride survived stonefish venom Mauritius 4
Amy Thomson

“There is still no solution for it. I feel really down from it all because I am still suffering. All because when I was putting my shoes on, all that guy had to do was not say anything and let me crack on and put them on.”

bride survived stonefish venom Mauritius 6 scaled
Amy Thomson

More in Living

To Top